caret icon Back to all discussions

What types of doctors other than my primary care physician should be included in my treatment?

  1. A neurologist who has a designation of a Movement Disorder Specialist (MDS) has received additional training to treat and manage Parkinson's disease. However, a neurologist is just one of the many professionals you may want to have on your Parkinson's disease health care team.

    Parkinson's has the possibility of not only impacting the neurological system but can impact many systems of your body. Since everyone who has Parkinson's is affected differently, you may also want to consider the following specialists to be a part of your PD health care team: cardiologist, gastroenterologist, ophthalmologist/neuro-ophthalmologist, psychologist, dentist, physical therapist, speech therapist, occupational therapist, nurse practitioner, and pharmacist.

    There are also some non-medical health professionals you may want to consider as part of your team: massage therapist, acupuncturist, yoga instructor, and personal trainer. You and your loved one may want to discuss how you are going to work together and with your health care team. As a caregiver/care partner, you will want to make sure that you are recognized as an important member of the health care team. Your insights and observations can be valuable piece of your loved one's wellness.

    1. I would also add urologist to your list.

      1. I would love to have these professionals taking care of me but I see my specialist every six months for 20 mins. What I know about Parkinson's I have acquired by research on the web and lots of reading articles over a few years to see what has happened with research. I wish I had the money to be able to access the services of these people. My last session with my consultant changed as I have a new one who is being supported by the MJFF and is doing research in neuropathy, I don't know if I will see him again. So I will go on learning as much as possible about PD and hope more help will when I really need it.

        1. I would also add a Physiatrist to my team. He is a medical doctor of physical therapy. Marc M., Moderator,

          Please read our rules before posting.