Parkinson’s Disease in Women
Written by: Emily Downward & Jessica Johns Pool | Last reviewed: October 2019
- Wirdefeldt K, Adami HO, Cole P, Trichopoulos D, Mandel J. Epidemiology and etiology of Parkinson's disease: a review of the evidence. Eur J Epidemiol. 2011 Jun;26 Suppl 1:S1-58.
- Parkinson’s Disease. NIH Publication No. 15-139. Aug. 2018. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health. Accessed on 10/24/19.
- Augustine EF, et al. Sex Differences in Clinical Features of Early, Treated Parkison’s Disease. Plos One. Published: July 14, 2015. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0133002.
- Lyons KE, Hubble JP, Tröster AI, Pahwa R, Koller WC. Gender differences in Parkinson’s disease. Clin Neuropharm. 1998 Mar/Apr;21(2):118-121.
- Parkinson’s Disease Foundation. Women and Parkinson’s Disease. Available at: https://www.parkinson.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Women-Parkinsons-Disease.pdf. Accessed on 10/24/19.
- Haaxma CA, Bloem BR, Borm GF, Oyen WJG, Leenders KL, Eshuls S, Booij J, Dluzen DE, Horstink MW. Gender differences in Parkinson’s disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007;78:819-824 doi:10.1136/jnnp.2006.103788.
- Shulman LM. Gender differences in Parkinson’s disease. Gend Med. 2007;4:8-18. Yale University. "Estrogen Deprivation Leads To Death Of Dopamine Cells In The Brain."
- ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 5 December 2000. Available at: www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001204072446.htm. Accessed on 10/24/19.