How Common is Parkinson’s Disease?
Written by: Emily Downward | Last reviewed: March 2017
- Reeve A, Simcox E, Turnbull D. Ageing and Parkinson’s disease: why is advancing age the biggest risk factor? Ageing Res. Rev., 2014 Mar;14(100):19–30.
- Parkinson’s Disease. NIH Publication No. 15-139. Dec 2014. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health.
- Parkinson’s Disease Foundation. Accessed online on 12/6/16 at http://www.pdf.org/en/parkinson_statistics.
- Wirdefeldt K, Adami HO, Cole P, Trichopoulos D, Mandel J. Epidemiology and etiology of Parkinson's disease: a review of the evidence. Eur J Epidemiol. 2011 Jun;26 Suppl 1:S1-58.
- de Lau LM, Breteler MM. Epidemiology of Parkinson's disease. Lancet Neurol. 2006 Jun;5(6):525-35.
- Wright Willis A, Evanoff BA, Lian M, Criswell SR, Racette BA. Geographic and ethnic variation in Parkinson disease: a population-based study of US Medicare beneficiaries. Neuroepidemiology. 2010;34(3):143-51.
- Van Den Eeden SK, Tanner CM, Bernstein AL, Fross RD, Leimpeter A, Bloch DA, Nelson LM. Incidence of Parkinson's disease: variation by age, gender, and race/ethnicity. Am J Epidemiol. 2003 Jun 1;157(11):1015-1022.
- Dorsey ER, Constantinescu R, Thompson JP, Biglan KM, Holloway RG, Kieburtz K, Marshall FJ, Ravina BM, Schifitto G, Siderowf A, Tanner CM. Projected number of people with Parkinson disease in the most populous nations, 2005 through 2030. Neurology. 2007 Jan 30;68(5):384-6.
- Forsaa EB, Larsen JP, Wentzel-Larsen T, Alves G. What predicts mortality in Parkinson’s disease?: A prospective population-based long-term study. Neurology. 2010 Oct 5;75(14):1270-6.